Monday, September 21, 2009

Hold on don't let go!

Hold on don’t let go!








Introduction- When I was a kid I loved wrestling I watched 2 hours of WCW every Saturday. Watching guys like Rick Flair, the Road Warriors, and Rockin’ Roll express. I also watched the WWF with all their guys like Hulk Hogan, and Jake the snake Roberts. I practiced and practiced until I could sound like one of my favorites “Oh ya brother!” Macho Man Randy Savage. What does any of this have to do with God you may be asking yourself? Good question! I’m glad you asked! Because I’m going to mention the very first wrestling match between Jesus and Jacob.

Genesis 32:24-31 24 This left Jacob all alone in the camp, and a man came and wrestled with him until the dawn began to break. 25 When the man saw that he would not win the match, he touched Jacob’s hip and wrenched it out of its socket. 26 Then the man said, “Let me go, for the dawn is breaking!” But Jacob said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.” 27 “What is your name?” the man asked. He replied, “Jacob.” 28 “Your name will no longer be Jacob,” the man told him. “From now on you will be called Israel, because you have fought with God and with men and have won.” 29 “Please tell me your name,” Jacob said. “Why do you want to know my name?” the man replied. Then he blessed Jacob there. 30 Jacob named the place Peniel (which means “face of God”), for he said, “I have seen God face to face, yet my life has been spared.” 31 The sun was rising as Jacob left Peniel, and he was limping because of the injury to his hip.

Three things are constantly trying to pull us away from God, the world, the flesh, and the devil. Hold on don’t let go!

1. The World

John 16:33 In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

a. Money/greed *sin is never satisfied

b. Power/being at the top

c. Fame/Every one will know you some day. Your sooo important!

John 17:6 My followers do not belong to the world just as I do not belong to the world.

Hold on don’t let go!

2. The Flesh

Romans 7:18 Yes, I know that nothing good lives in me - I mean nothing good lives in the part of me that is earthly and sinful. I want to do the things that are good, but I do not do them.

a. The old life- Sex/pleasure, Drugs/Alcohol

Hebrews 11:25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;

Romans 8:13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

b. The new life 2 corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.

c. New plans new destiny! Jeremiah 29:11 I alone know the plans I have for you, plans to bring you prosperity (hope) and not disaster (evil), plans to bring about the future you hope for.

Hold on don’t let go!

3. The devil

a. He is the Father of lies- John 8:44

b. He comes as an angel of light- 2 Corinthians 11:14

c. His Job is to kill, steal, and destroy

d. He is defeated!

1 John 3:8 The Son of God came for this purpose: to destroy the devil's work.

Hold on don’t let go!

Conclusion- The beautiful thing is Jesus didn’t leave us alone in this fight with the world, flesh, and the devil. He has given us weapons to fight with. The Armor of God which covers our whole body, the Belt of truth, breast plate of righteousness, shoes of the Gospel of peace, shield of faith, helmet of Salvation, and the Sword of the Spirit. and in Isaiah 59:19 it says When the enemy comes in like a flood, The Spirit of the LORD will lift up a standard against him. The word standard in Hebrew means- to flee, escape, to put to flight, to cause to disappear, and hide. I’m not letting anything pull me away from Jesus I’m holding on and not letting go!

No comments: