Monday, September 27, 2010

A Hard Saying

John 6:53-71 53Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
 54Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
 55For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
 56He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.
 57As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.
 58This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.
 59These things said he in the synagogue, as he taught in Capernaum.
 60Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?
 61When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
 62What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
 63It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
 64But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
 65And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
 66From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
 67Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
 68Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
 69And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
 70Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?
 71He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

What does it mean to eat Jesus flesh and drink His blood? Was he talking about cannibalism? No way! When looking at this passage we need to remember verse 63 "the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life". Jesus used earthly things to convey His heavenly teachings. This passage might make some wonder and scratch their heads. But it's good to go over the hard sayings of the Bible and see what we believe. Jesus wasn't talking about literally eating Him and drinking His blood, He was talking about having a real vibrant relationship with Him. In John chapter 1 it says the word was made flesh, so to eat His flesh is to take in His word the Bible by reading, studying, meditating, listening, and talking about it. And to drink His blood means to have His blood cover us and cleanse us from all our sins. We need to partake of Christ's flesh and blood daily not just at a communion service, and to have Him living inside of us so that we're going where He wants us to go and doing what He wants us to do. I challenge everyone who reads this to let Jesus live inside of you and take complete controll. I have been His servant for 17 years and as each day, month, year passes (too quickly!) I love Him more and more.  

No comments: